Bachelor of Science Information Technology
What is Information Technology?
Technology is all around us. We want to CLICK on everything. We like to find everything on a website. Information Technology is about managing information in our modern digital age. We use the ATM machine, top-up our phone, download music or send photos to friends - these activities are part of our normal day. Information Technology helps us to understand what is happening behind the scenes when modern technology is used.
Why is Information Technology important?
Information Technology plays a crucial role in all aspects of life. Currently, there is a shortage of people who have the skills to understand, design, develop, test and integrate technologies to develop solutions for problems that exist across all sectors of society, such as businesses, banking and healthcare.
What is the BSc in Information Technology?
This three year programme will provide you with the skills to work in the computer industry or in the computing department in a wide variety of industries. You will develop your knowledge about the role of technology in society, become proficient in analysing, designing, developing and testing computer systems and you will acquire the skills that will allow you to integrate various technologies together to form solutions for businesses across a wide range of industries.
What structure does the course have?
This course consists of six 12 week semesters, with six modules in each semester (except semester 5).
In first year there is a strong focus on understanding technology and the critical role it plays in modern life. You will be introduced to concepts such as security, databases, computer networks and programming. In the subsequent years you will study specialist modules that will build on the knowledge gained in first year and equip you with the skills to become a specialist in technology integration, allowing you to gain employment in different industries depending on where you see your core strengths and future.
This course is built on two core computing areas, both of which have a high demand for graduates:
- Databases and information systems
- Computer networks and cloud computing
You will acquire skills in these areas and their integration to develop technical solutions that will enable you to gain employment in an array of businesses. At the beginning of year 3 you have the option to complete work placement or study abroad, which has become very popular with recent students.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
WIT’s award-winning Careers Development Centre is the main point of contact for:
- Students and graduates, helping you explore your options, develop your employability skills and make successful job applications
- Academic Staff, supporting you to equip your students with the skills they need to enhance their employability and succeed in their future careers
- Employers interested in securing the recruitment of well educated, career orientated, informed graduates
The Careers Development Centre supports the Institute in providing opportunities for students and graduates to develop the skills and attributes required to manage their careers throughout their working lives.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- You should be at least 17 years of age in January of the year of entry.
- You must have a Secondary/High School Diploma, with good grades in English and Mathematics and at least 4 other subjects, on average + 60%.
- Some courses have special entry requirements, which you should check under the course details.
For More Information Please Connect Our PSA Counselor
- Course Code: WD155
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 7650 EUR
Application Fee: 50 EUR
- Bachelor of Science Architectural & Building Information Modelling Technology at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Architectural Technology at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Architecture (Honours) Architecture at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Quantity Surveying at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Construction Management & Engineering at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Engineering Electrical Engineering at Waterford Institute of Technology