Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Theory
If you have a bachelor's degree in education, counseling, nursing or social work and at least three years’ practical experience, this program can broaden and advance your career. You will gain comprehensive knowledge of the theory and research that underpin counseling practice, and develop the skills necessary for effective counseling with diverse clients. You will undertake supervised practical counseling work in community settings. This program can provide the foundation to pursue research at the masters level.
If you complete the PGDipCounsTh with a GPA of 5 or higher in the most advanced courses taken, you can apply to enter into the second year of the Master of Counselling to complete the masters' qualification. To do this, you must include a research methods course in your PGDipCounsTh study.
The Epsom Campus is the main campus for the Faculty of Education and Social Work and is home to approximately 3500 students.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The PGDipCounsTh is suitable for experienced and aspiring individuals who wish to develop a beginning level of skill and theory in counselling that will assist them to develop and extend their careers as counselling professionals. If you complete the PGDipCounsTh with a GPA of 5 or higher in the most advanced courses taken, you can apply to enter into the second year of the MCouns to complete the master's qualification. To do this, you must include a research methods course in your PGDipCounsTh study.
Jobs related to this programme
- Counsellor in community settings
- Counsellor in government agencies (such as ACC, Corrections Department)
- Counsellor in private practice
- Counsellor in schools, and other secondary and tertiary settings
- Health and welfare services counsellor
- Human resource counsellor
- Not-for-profit agency counsellor
You can apply for a Post-study Work Visa for up to 3 years.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
You must have completed an undergraduate degree in education, counseling, nursing, social work, or a similar profession from a recognized university (or similar institution).
You will also need at least three years’ experience in teaching, counseling, nursing, social work, or a similar profession.
Admission is subject to a satisfactory interview, police check/s, safety checks, previous employment, and referees’ reports.
Note: If you already hold the same or a substantially similar qualification, you may not be admitted to this program.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 15000 NZD
Application Fee: 100 NZD
- Postgraduate Diploma in Public Health at University of Auckland
- Postgraduate Diploma in Obstetrics and Medical Gynaecology at University of Auckland
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health Sciences at University of Auckland
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health Psychology at University of Auckland
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy at University of Auckland
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Education at University of Auckland