Bachelor of Fine Arts
The B.F.A. degree prepares students for careers in studio arts and graphic design. Within these disciplines, students may choose to focus on photography, sculpture, painting, ceramics, animation, 3D modeling, drawing, printmaking or interactive digital media.
As part of their education, B.F.A. candidates become fluent in the discourse of their discipline. The rich New England cultural environment offers research possibilities at a long list of highly-regarded academic and artistic institutions. In addition, a broad range of internships and funded community involvement projects add to students’ capacity to become the effective artists, leaders and citizens of tomorrow. Upon graduation from the B.F.A. program, students are prepared to enter their chosen art discipline at a professional level. A high percentage of art graduates have obtained excellent positions in their field.
UMass Lowell is located in historic mill city of Lowell, Mass., 45-minutes north of Boston, at the intersections of Routes 495, 93 and 3. The birthplace of Jack Kerouac and the Industrial Revolution, Lowell's history echoes all around you. Former mill buildings and cobblestone streets now add charm to a bustling downtown, steps away from the UMass Lowell campus, which boasts a thriving arts scene, a population rich in cultural diversity, and a flair for festivals.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
3 Years of PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- You are considered a freshman if you have not taken any post-secondary/college coursework. Your application should include your high school or secondary school records, including results from culminating or leaving examinations. Scores from the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) or the American College Test (ACT) will be required, along with an essay and a letter of recommendation. The CEEB code number for UMass Lowell is 3911. There is also a no-test option for available to freshmen applicants.
- International freshman applicants may use the no-test option and waive the SAT or ACT and TOEFL or IELTS exams if your secondary institution provides written verification that the means of instruction is in English, you are enrolled in an IB curriculum, attend an American School or are enrolled in a curriculum that leads to Cambridge International Examinations: IGCSE/O-Level and GCE/A level exam. Please note that additional essays are required of freshman applicants who choose the no-test option.
A portfolio consists of 10 original works of art (including up to two video or time-based works) that represent your best artwork/design/photos. Portfolios should also demonstrate independent thought and the diversity of your experience in visual arts. The portfolio should include drawings from direct observation. The portfolio may also include works in 2-D media (such as painting, illustration, comics, photography, printmaking), 3D media (such as ceramic, sculpture and installations), and/ or time-based media (animation, motion graphics, game design and video). Your portfolio can include finished pieces and works in progress, but please note the status of the work in the description.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 USD
Application Fee: 60 USD
- Bachelor of Arts in Theatre Arts at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Music in Sound Recording Technology at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Arts in Religious Studies at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Arts - Peace & Conflict Studies at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Music in Music Studies at University of Massachusetts Lowell