Bachelor of Zoology and Animal Science
Deakin’s Bachelor of Zoology and Animal Science lets you get hands-on with animals, big and small. Apply the latest zoology theory and research in real-world settings, and develop evidence-based decision-making skills valued by industry.
Interested in a career that cares for the future of our furry and feathered friends?
If you’re fascinated by the way animals behave, adapt, evolve, and survive, you’re not alone. Animal enthusiasts choose Deakin to turn their passion into a rewarding career because of our research-informed teaching and practical approach to learning.
You’ll be challenged to test the theories you discuss in the classroom on living subjects in the lab and field. This gives you a first-hand understanding of the form and function of animals and the underlying mechanisms that influence their ecology and evolution. This course has a strong focus on Australian fauna and its unique importance in the global environment. You will learn broadly about
how animal evolution and ecology respond to changing environments.
As you advance through the course, you’ll be exposed to many unique aspects of zoology including disease ecology, animal sensory neurobiology, and behavior, as well as ecological and conservation genetics. The wide range of core units will broaden your skillset, expanding your career options across the growing zoology and animal science field.
The course includes a compulsory professional practice unit that requires you to undertake at least 80 hours of work experience in a course-related host organization.
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
At Deakin’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, you are surrounded by expansive grounds and impressive new buildings. It offers state-of-the-art engineering, medical and sport facilities, as well as some of the most advanced research spaces in the world. The campus also features incredible sporting facilities, including Deakin’s Elite Sport Precinct, which includes an Australian rules football oval, FIFA-grade soccer pitch, athletics track, basketball courts, and more.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Employers value Deakin graduates’ range of practical experience and evidence-based decision-making skills. You’ll be well-placed to explore opportunities in areas including:
- zoological research
- environmental monitoring and management
- wildlife biology
- private environmental consulting
- government quarantine.
Graduates typically take on roles such as:
- research assistants
- environmental managers
- pest management officers
- collection managers of aquaria and zoological gardens
- primary and secondary teachers (with relevant teaching qualifications).
Further postgraduate studies, including research training either in Australia or overseas, can also lead to becoming a research scientist in a specific field, museum curator, or even a university academic.
- Geelong/ Warrnambool Campus - 3 years of Post Study Work Permit
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- (standard class XII):- 65%
- a Certificate IV in a related discipline OR
- a Diploma in any discipline or 50% completion of a Diploma in a related discipline OR
- successful completion of relevant study at an accredited higher education institution equivalent to at least two Deakin University units OR
- other evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent for example relevant work or life experience
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
- Course Code: 075365F
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Marine Science at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Public Health and Health Promotion (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences/Bachelor of Arts at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Forensic Science/Bachelor of Criminology at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) at Deakin University