This course is currently not offered by the university in upcoming intakes. We will notify you soon as it is resumed for online/ offline delivery
Master of Commerce
Develop specialist knowledge and skills in applied finance, professional accounting, and information systems to think critically, make confident decisions and advance your career.
UQ ranks 41st the world for accounting and finance education*, a distinction reflected in the quality of course material for the master’s programs and graduate certificate, and the contemporary learning environment where commerce students have access to the state-of-the-art Bloomberg Trading Room and can participate in the Student Managed Investment Fund.
As a master's degree student, you have the opportunity to undertake two fields of study or additional research electives, which may provide a pathway to higher degrees by research. You'll also focus on the key concepts of finance, accounting and information systems, and be encouraged to consider ethical behaviour in commerce and corporate social responsibility.
The Masters of Commerce (24 units) has been designed to equip you with highly regarded formal qualifications in finance, accounting or information systems, and provide you with the know-how to move into senior management or financial roles.
This program does not assume prior knowledge or training in the available fields of study. If you’ve studied in a related discipline, consider if each field of study will extend your expertise and support your career plans.
- Build your theoretical and technical knowledge of the financial services industry.
- Move to the next level of your career by developing a greater understanding of finance and advancing your management skills.
- Gain qualifications in commerce that are recognised by employers worldwide.
- Benefit from the Business School’s long-held research capability and the achievements of its academic staff, many considered the most innovative educators in Australia.
Fields of study
Tailor your studies to suit your goals. This program offers these options:
- Applied Finance
- Information Systems
- Professional Accounting
Situated on 114 hectares of Brisbane River-bound land, UQ’s main campus is a vibrant mix of majestic sandstone buildings and contemporary architecture, landscaped gardens and lakes. Fanning out from the heritage-listed Great Court, you’ll find modern teaching and research facilities, including laboratories, lecture theatres, and Queensland’s largest research library. The expansive grounds are also home to a variety of sporting facilities, museums, cafes, and those famous Jacaranda trees. The St Lucia campus is only seven kilometres from Brisbane’s city centre, making it an appealing place to study, work or visit.
Application Processing Time in Days: 28
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Our programs prepare you for your first job and beyond. Depending on which major you choose, here are some of the careers you could be on your way to:
- Market risk analytics manager
- Quantitative analyst
- Pricing strategy lead
- Business analyst
- Systems analyst
- Technology consultant
- Data analyst
- Performance analyst
- Compliance manager
2 years of Post-Study Work (PSW) rights to international students post completion of their respective Postgraduate.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
1.5-year degree (24 units of study)
If you have relevant prior learning or experience, you can reduce the number of courses you need to complete and graduate in less time.
To be eligible to complete the degree in 1.5 years full-time (only available as full-time study), you'll need:
- a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline (see below)
You must have a grade point average (GPA) of 4.5 on a 7-point scale in your previous qualification.
Relevant disciplines for previous qualifications
Relevant disciplines include accounting, advertising (business degree related only), business, business administration, business information systems, commercialisation (business degree related only), economics, entrepreneurship, finance, human resources, international business, international economics and trade, management, marketing, strategy and sustainability (business degree related only).
- Course Code: 082596K
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year 06 Month
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 24505 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- MASTER OF Finance and Investment Management at The University of Queensland
- Master of Tourism, Hotel and Event Management at The University of Queensland
- Master of International Relations (MIR) at The University of Queensland
- Master of International Economics and Finance (MIntEcon&F) at The University of Queensland
- Master of Global Management (MGMan) at The University of Queensland
- Master of Financial Mathematics (MFinMath) at The University of Queensland