Glaciology, MSc by Research
The MSc by Research in Glaciology allows you to undertake a year-long individual programme of personally and professionally enriching research. Your glaciology research project will be shaped by participation in activities such as seminars, workshops, laboratory activity and fieldwork, as well as your involvement in Swansea Glaciology Group While this programme usually finishes after a year, it can also be used to progress to the second year of a PhD degree. You will contribute to our research and learn methods such as computer simulation, satellite remote sensing, or geophysical and geological field methods. Swansea glaciologists work in the Arctic, Antarctic, and most glaciated regions to advance understanding of:
- Ice dynamic processes such as iceberg calving and basal processes in relation to ice streams, outlet glaciers and glacier surging;
- Interactions between ice sheets, solid earth, oceans and atmosphere;
- Reconstruction of past and prediction of future glacier, permafrost, and snow behaviour and processes;
- Past and future cryospheric contribution to sea-level rise
Singleton Park Campus
Travelling west on the M4 leave the motorway at junction 42 and follow signs for Swansea on the A483 (Fabian Way). On crossing the River Tawe the A483 becomes the A4067. Continue west along this road, passing Sainsbury’s Superstore on the left-hand side of the road. After approximately 1.5 miles there is a footbridge over the road. The University’s main entrance lies just before the footbridge and is controlled by traffic lights. As you approach the lights, keep to the right-hand lane and prepare to turn right into the University. There is a Visitors’ Car Park immediately right of the main entrance. There are large Park-and-Ride sites at Port Tennant and on the A483 east of Swansea, at Landore, on the A4067 north of the city. All sites are open from 7.00 am until 7.00 pm, Monday to Saturday.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Our career support services include:
- Employability workshops, employers’ talks, bespoke events and careers fairs
- Individual advice and guidance from professionally qualified Careers Advisers
- Help with finding jobs, internships, work placements and volunteering opportunities
- Access to information resources on a wide range of career management topics
- Advice and guidance on postgraduate study and funding
- Funding to support student internship opportunities and Student Society/Club events.
We also provide help and advice for Swansea University Alumni up to two years after you graduate.
- 2 Years of PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
You should hold or expect to achieve a minimum of an upper second class honors degree (2:1), or equivalent, in a related subject or hold relevant work experience.
- Bachelor: 60%; or
- CGPA 6.7 (10 point system); or
- CGPA 6 (7 point system); or
- CGPA 3 (4 point system)
As standard, two references are required before we can progress applications to the College/School research programme Admissions Tutor for consideration.
Applications received without two references attached are placed on hold, pending receipt of the outstanding reference(s). Please note that any protracted delay in receiving the outstanding reference(s) may result in the need to defer your application to a later potential start point/entry month, than what you initially listed as your preferred start option.
You may wish to consider contacting your referee(s) to assist in the process of obtaining the outstanding reference(s) or alternatively, hold submission of application until references are sourced. Please note that it is not the responsibility of the University Admissions Office to obtain missing reference(s) after our initial email is sent to your nominated referee(s), requesting a reference(s) on your behalf.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A