Master of Teaching (Primary and Secondary)
If you’re unsure whether to study primary or secondary teaching, there’s no need to decide – you can do both. Deakin’s Master of Teaching (Primary and Secondary) gives you the ultimate flexibility to work at any level in any school.
Looking to boost your career with an adaptable teaching qualification that enables you to move up, down, across, and between classrooms?
The Master of Teaching (Primary and Secondary) is the perfect choice for those who like to be agile. As a graduate, you’ll have the ability to work in a K-12 school or pivot between primary and secondary. You’ll develop a suite of transferable skills and an invaluable mindset that can be applied to almost any sector, including education, youth work, corporate learning and development, NGOs, media and community-based organisations.
Learn from highly experienced, passionate teachers who understand first-hand the importance of recognising all students as people first. You’ll discover how to foster well-balanced relationships in the classroom to ensure students build positive connections with their peers, in turn promoting an environment to thrive.
The Melbourne Burwood Campus is Deakin’s largest. A short trip from Melbourne’s central business district, Burwood offers the perfect balance between city lifestyle and suburban comfort. On campus you will find impressive buildings and world-class facilities, a wide range of learning and social spaces, and a relaxed atmosphere. If you enjoy getting outdoors between classes, the Melbourne Burwood Campus also sits alongside parkland, which is great for walking, jogging and cycling.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
As one of the largest growing employment industries in Australia, education, and training is projected to grow by 11.2% by May 2023* – that’s 11,300 new jobs or 11,300 career opportunities to explore.
The knowledge and skills you’ll develop through the Master of Teaching (Primary and Secondary) prepare you well for a diverse range of roles, including:
- primary or secondary teacher in a public, independent, or private school
- academic adviser
- youth worker
- museum educator
- policy manager in a not-for-profit organization
- education consultant in the local or federal government.
- Melbourne Campus - 2 years of Post Study Work Permit
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Admission to study postgraduate coursework at Deakin is based on recognition of your professional experience and previous qualifications.
Admission is based on:
- Bachelor's degree in a different discipline. Secondary Teaching applicants must meet the requirement for prior studies from disciplines that enable them to qualify for either two single teaching methods or one double method, in secondary teaching areas offered at Deakin University (see list above in Course structure).
All applicants must complete an additional selection tool for non-academic attributes. Deakin University is using the CASPer test. CASPer is an online, video-scenario based situational judgment test, designed to measure non-academic suitability for teaching.
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application.
- Course Code: 088436M
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Master of Laws - Major Thesis at Deakin University
- Master of Social Work (Research) at Deakin University
- Master of Education (Research) at Deakin University
- Master of Laws (LLM) at Deakin University
- Master of Politics and Policy at Deakin University
- Master of Humanitarian Assistance at Deakin University