Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science
Medical laboratory scientists perform tests on human and veterinary specimens including blood, bodily fluids, stool, urine, tissue biopsies, and more. They are skilled in interpreting and analyzing these specimens to identify blood diseases, viruses, and parasites, immunity disorders, evidence of toxins and poisons, genetic mutations, plus much more.
During this course, you will complete a 12-week professional placement where you will work alongside practicing medical scientists and clinical researchers in accredited pathology labs and research facilities.
Your studies will incorporate all areas of clinical pathology including hematology, transfusion science, cytology, biochemistry, microbiology, histology, molecular pathology, and immunology, providing you with increased career opportunities.
Hands-on experiences in the Q Block laboratories at Gardens Point and the H Block laboratories at Kelvin Grove begin during the first semester of the first year and are embedded throughout the course.
We are recognized for delivering graduates who are confident with advanced techniques and able to conduct appropriate investigations to a professional standard.
Gardens Point campus is located in Brisbane's city centre, beside the Brisbane River and adjacent to the City Botanic Gardens and Queensland Parliament House. At the centre of the campus is the Old Government House which was built in 1862 and re-opened in 2009.The faculties of Business, Law, and Science and Engineering are based at this campus.
Application Processing Time in Days: 40
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Careers and outcomes
Medical laboratory scientists work in the pathology industry, generally in hospitals or in public or private laboratories. Graduates are also employed in allied health (e.g. assisted fertility clinics) and public health laboratories.
Graduates of this course may choose a role in a multidisciplinary setting or can specialize in an area of particular interest, or complete postgraduate studies for a career in research.
- Hospital Scientist
- Medical Scientist
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Pathology Scientist
- Research Scientist
- Students who graduate with a Bachelors's degree are eligible for a 2-year work visa.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Senior/Higher Secondary School Certificate/Pre-University certificate from QUT recognized state education boards with an overall average of 75% in best five academic subjects (2 languages and 3 academic subjects), excluding physical education.
- Indian School Certificate academic stream awarded by CISCE with an overall average of 60% in the best five academic subjects (two languages and three academic subjects), excluding physical education.
- All India Senior School Certificate academic stream awarded by CBSE with an overall average of 60% in the best five academic subjects (two languages and three academic subjects), excluding physical education.
- Chemistry (Units 3 & 4, C)
- Mathematical Methods (Units 3 & 4, C)
You must have achieved this study at a level comparable to Australian Year 12 or in recognized post-secondary studies.
There are requirements that you will need to meet as a student in this course. You will need to identify these requirements and ensure you allow sufficient time to meet them. Some of these requirements have associated costs.
Blue card: You must undergo a criminal history check for working with children and be issued with a suitability card (blue card) before commencing clinical placement/practicum in an organization where you may work with children or young people.
The processing of your application may take several months so you must submit your blue card application to HiQ as early as possible to ensure you have your card before you begin any unit that requires contact with children. There is no charge for student blue cards. Students who already have a blue card must register it with QUT.
- Course Code: 076173F
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 24505 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Bachelor of Data Science at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science/Bachelor of Mathematics at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Mathematics (Honours) at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Mathematics (Applied and Computational Mathematics) at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Honours) at Queensland University of Technology