Bachelor of Nutrition Science
Nutritionists promote healthy eating and lifestyles to individuals, communities and populations. Nutritionists create opportunities for people to learn about food and nutrition, design food products to support a healthy diet, influence food systems to foster sustainability, and advocate for a safe and equitable food supply across the globe. Studies in nutrition therefore include the science behind food and nutrition – biology and human physiology and chemistry and biochemistry, food and culinary nutrition science and the role of food and nutrition in health promotion and disease prevention.
Nutrition links very closely with the national and global health priorities related to overnutrition and risk of obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease, much of which is preventable through a healthy lifestyle.
ACU's program focuses on nutrition for general health, with understanding of the role of food and nutrition in chronic disease management, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander nutrition related health and community and public health priorities. ACU is the only university in Australia to offer students the opportunity to focus their study on culinary nutrition, an emerging area for work in the food and nutrition industry. The degree will appeal to anyone interested in a career as a nutritionists in public health and policy, in culinary nutrition science, in food and nutrition education and communication, in food science and technology, and in the research and food product development sectors. Work placement units provide students with eposure to work settings where they may gain employment following graduation and international short term study offers students the chance to enrich their university learning experience.
The program also provides the basis for postgraduate studies in dietetics. Dietitians treat disease through diet and therefore require additional studies and clinical practice in health settings.
Inherent requirements ensure the academic integrity of a course is maintained and preserves the university's learning, assessment, and accreditation processes. They must be met by all students.
There are essential components of a course or unit that demonstrate the capabilities, knowledge, and skills to achieve the core learning outcomes of the course or unit.
- compliance with the policies, procedures and regulations which are applicable to all students at ACU.
- the mandatory requirements associated with the course of study, eg attendance, completion of assignments.
115 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy Vic 3065 Locked Bag 4115, Fitzroy MDC Fitzroy Vic 3065
40 Edward Street, North Sydney NSW 2060 PO Box 968, North Sydney NSW 2059
25A Barker Rd, Strathfield NSW 2135, Australia
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Examples of the work and settings the course prepares graduates for:
- Culinary nutritionist
- Community and public health nutritionists
- Food and nutrition researchers
- Food and nutrition educators / communicators
- Food and health policy influencers / makers
- Food science and technology professionals
- Food research and produce development professionals
- National and international health agencies
- State and federal government health departments
- Food service and Food science and technology industry
- 2 years PSW for Melbourne & North Sydney
- 3 years PSW for Blacktown
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
CBSE All India Senior School Certificate (AISSC) with a minimum average of 65% in best 4 academic subjects;
Indian School Certificate (ISC) with a minimum average of 65% in best 4 academic subjects; Senior Secondary School Certificate from National Open Schooling with a minimum average of 65% in best 4 academic subjects;
Higher Secondary Certificate from the State Boards listed below with a minimum average of 65% in best 4 academic subjects;
• Andhra Pradesh
• Gujarat, Karnataka
• Tamil Nadu
• West Bengal
Local languages and non-academic subjects are excluded.
English Language Requirements
- IELTS minimum overall score of 6.5 (with a minimum score of 6.0 in all bands), or an equivalent acceptable test score as outlined in the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy (Schedule 3).
- Course Code: 094690B
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Exercise Science / Bachelor of Applied Public Health at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Bachelor of Psychological Science / Bachelor of Arts at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Bachelor of Philosophy / Bachelor of Laws at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Bachelor of Nursing (Honours) (1 year) at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Honours) (1 year) at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science / Bachelor of Nutrition Science at Australian Catholic University (ACU)