Bachelor of Arts (Psychology)
Study the Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) and gain insight into why people think, feel and behave the way they do. At the same time, you will also open the door to a world of opportunity through your study in the Arts.
Why not study psychology your way, with more flexibility and diverse opportunities?
Learn the perfect mix of skills sought by employers by studying one degree, with exposure to two distinct areas of interest. Combining your passions in psychology and the arts can open doors and make you more employable once you graduate.
You will study psychology as a scientific discipline and learn to appreciate the important role it plays within society. You will cover a range of psychology areas including:
- behavioural and clinical neuroscience
- child and adolescent psychology
- human social behaviour
- cognitive psychology
- forensic psychology
Our School of Psychology is one of the largest in Victoria. It has strong partnerships with industry, including collaborative activities with government agencies, public and private organisations, hospitals and other universities.
These partnerships ensure that your degree remains relevant to industry and workforce needs. You will be in high demand by employers who want graduates that are ready to face problems with confidence.
The Melbourne Burwood Campus is Deakin’s largest. A short trip from Melbourne’s central business district, Burwood offers the perfect balance between city lifestyle and suburban comfort. On campus you will find impressive buildings and world-class facilities, a wide range of learning and social spaces, and a relaxed atmosphere. If you enjoy getting outdoors between classes, the Melbourne Burwood Campus also sits alongside parkland, which is great for walking, jogging and cycling.
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
At Deakin’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, you are surrounded by expansive grounds and impressive new buildings. It offers state-of-the-art engineering, medical and sport facilities, as well as some of the most advanced research spaces in the world. The campus also features incredible sporting facilities, including Deakin’s Elite Sport Precinct, which includes an Australian rules football oval, FIFA-grade soccer pitch, athletics track, basketball courts, and more.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
As a Deakin Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) graduate you will develop some of the most important skills a student can gain at university.
Through your study in the Arts, you will build valuable and transferable career skills, making you highly employable within many industries. The range of disciplines on offer also lets you follow your passion and develop the specialist skills to pursue the career you want. You will be able to take your degree into a range of careers, including:
- Community services
- Criminal justice
- Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums (GLAM)
- Human rights
- Performing and Visual Arts
- Policy development
- Public relations
Following the completion of your major in psychology, taking the next step towards becoming a psychologist involves applying for an honors year (e.g. Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) (Honours)). Once completed, you’ll be able to register as a provisional psychologist with the Psychology Board of Australia.
If your passion isn’t to complete further study to become a registered psychologist, there are still many diverse career options available, including:
- child protection
- family support
- human services
- not for profit aid
- public health
- social work
If you choose to pursue full registration as a psychologist, you may find employment in a variety of roles, including:
- clinical psychologist
- cognitive neuroscientist
- criminal psychologist
- educational and developmental psychologist
- family therapist
- forensic psychologist
- health and community psychologist
- organizational psychologist
- rehabilitation counselor
- sport and exercise psychologist
- youth psychologist
These positions can be found in:
- private clinics and practices
- public and private hospitals
- corporate organizations
- schools and universities
- government departments and agencies
- sporting clubs and institutes
- social research organizations
- Melbourne Campus - 2 years of Post Study Work Permit
- Geelong/ Warrnambool Campus - 3 years of Post Study Work Permit
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- (standard class XII):- 65%
Admission Requirements Specific Entry for applicants with recent secondary education (previous three years) will be based on their performance in a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education, with pre-requisite units 3 and 4; a study score of at least 25 in English EAL (English as an additional language) or 20 in English other than EAL. Applicants will be selected in accordance with the published Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for that year.
Entry for applicants with previous Tertiary, VET, life, or work experience will be based on their performance in:
- a Certificate IV in a related discipline OR
- a Diploma in any discipline or 50% completion of a Diploma in a related discipline OR
- successful completion of relevant study at an accredited higher education institution equivalent to at least two Deakin University units OR
- other evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent for example relevant work or life experience
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application.
- Course Code: 077384J
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Arts/Master of International Relations at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Creative Arts (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Communication (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science at Deakin University