English, BA (The English Major)
Our English majors love to connect creativity to analysis, exploring the many texts that surround us—whether that "text" be a graphic novel, poem, webpage, play, film clip, or contemporary novel. These "texts" can include pieces of workplace writing, journalism, and even student writing that you analyze as a tutor. If you major in another field but love these areas of investigation, consider an English minor or a double major in English.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
As an English major, the skills you develop and the tasks you practice are valuable and marketable assets for many career paths.
If English is a natural choice for you and you want to work in education, journalism, publishing, or as a writer, more options and opportunities exist than you may expect. For example, the digital content world we now live in provides opportunities in many fields for content creators, editors, strategists, and managers. The global marketplace has made international teaching a permanent job for those interested in travel and new experiences.
- 12 to 36 months( OPT duration depends on the major studied)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
All UMass Boston applicants are asked to submit a personal essay. It gives you the opportunity to present yourself in a way that grades and test scores cannot. Our admissions counselors use your essay to determine your ability to organize your thoughts and express yourself clearly. Your essay may also be used to consider you for the Honors College and/or any scholarship opportunities for which you may qualify.
- Students who are attending or have graduated from a U.S. high school must submit SAT or ACT scores. Submission of TOEFL or IELTS scores is recommended.
- Students seeking full admission to electrical or computer engineering, management, or nursing programs are required to submit their SAT or ACT test scores.
- For students who have a recalculated grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher and seek full admissions to the College of Liberal Arts or to the College of Science and Mathematics, SAT or ACT scores are optional but must meet the minimum TOEFL (79-80) or IELTS (6.0) scores required.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 USD
Application Fee: 100 USD
- Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, BA at University of Massachusetts Boston
- Theatre Arts, BA at University of Massachusetts Boston
- Music, BA at University of Massachusetts Boston
- Latin American and Iberian Studies, BA at University of Massachusetts Boston
- Labor Studies, BA at University of Massachusetts Boston
- International Relations, BA at University of Massachusetts Boston