Master of International and Community Development
Set yourself up for career progression in an evolving field by studying the Master of International and Community Development. With new expertise, you’ll be able to take the lead on development programs that promote justice, reduce poverty, and create environments for people to lead sustainable, fulfilling lives.
Tomorrow’s development opportunities require new ways of thinking. Want the practical experience needed to respond to future challenges in creative, culturally sensitive ways?
Deakin’s Master of International and Community Development is the largest, longest-running, and most reputable course of its type in Australia. Our academic staff has extensive professional experience within the sector and course content is finely tuned to the state of local and global events that impact development – just two of the reasons why our graduates are better prepared for their current and future roles. The course fosters your passion for social justice, sustainable development, and human rights. At the same time, it provides professional development opportunities that take your career forward. Plus, you’ll be studying on our premium online learning platform, giving you the flexibility to fit your degree around your work.
You can tailor the degree to your interests and career goals by choosing from three study streams:
- international development stream
- community development stream
- combined stream (international and community development)
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
You’ll graduate from this course with sought-after skills that open the door to a wide range of opportunities, both in Australia and internationally. Your practical experience will prepare you for leadership roles within all organizations that respond to challenges relating to social justice, empowerment, poverty, and community development. These include:
- international and domestic non-government organizations
- government agencies
- local community organizations, councils, and other civil society actors
- Commonwealth departments such as the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
- international aid and development agencies such as the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- bilateral and multilateral agencies.
There is also the potential to work in related areas, such as:
- social enterprise and other private sector businesses
- government and non-government agencies are concerned with the flow of trade, services, capital, and personnel.
Interested in pursuing a career in further research? You can choose to complete a minor thesis as your research option which meets the thesis requirements for admission to a Ph.D. pathway.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Admission to study postgraduate coursework at Deakin is based on recognition of your professional experience and previous qualifications.
Admission is based on:
- Bachelor honors (AQF8) degree in a related discipline or
- Bachelor degree in a related discipline, plus two years of relevant work experience or
- Graduate certificate or graduate diploma in a related discipline or
- Evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent.
Mandatory student checks
Any unit which contains work-integrated learning, a community placement, or interaction with the community may require a police check, Working with Children Check, or another check.
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application.
- Course Code: A765
- Course Type: Online
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Master of Applied Science (Health) at Deakin University
- Master of Applied Science (Health and Disease) at Deakin University
- Master of Philosophy at Deakin University
- Master of Science (Environmental Science) at Deakin University
- Master of Science (Biology and Chemical Sciences) - IFM at Deakin University
- Master of Data Science at Deakin University