Graduate Diploma in Journalism (Advanced)
Learn to execute news copy with high-level oral and written communication skills back up by expertise in researching, writing and editing your own work. The Graduate Diploma in Journalism (Advanced) develops your advanced and practical understanding of how news stories are put together to ensure you can critically reflect on the challenges media professionals face in journalism.
Who is it for?
The program is intended for those looking for a specific, professionally-focused stream of study in journalism. Whether you want to work in print, digital, online, offline, or on the air, the Graduate Diploma in Journalism (Advanced) will impart the essential skills you need to tell news stories with integrity and grit.
Our Parkville campus is a city within a city. With cafes, 12 libraries, gyms, specialty stores, a small supermarket, and even a seasonal farmers market, you’ll never have to leave. The Parkville campus is situated within a renowned knowledge precinct, which includes eight hospitals, many leading research institutes and a wide range of knowledge-based industries.
Application Processing Time in Days: 60
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Career outcomes for the Graduate Diploma in Journalism (Advanced) reach across all media platforms. Get a head start pursuing roles including:
- TV, print or radio journalist and reporter
- Editor and subeditor
- Blogger and copywriter
Graduate Diploma packaged with Masters degree would allow 2 years PSW. Packaging of offers depends on the sole discretion of Faculty.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- You need to successfully complete an undergraduate degree, either from the University of Melbourne, another Australian institution, or a university overseas. You also need to meet English language requirements and be eligible to be offered an international graduate place.
- If you've achieved high marks in your Melbourne undergraduate studies you can even be made an early offer. Depending on your previous studies and experience you could also be eligible for credit towards your studies at the University.
TOEFL – you need a score from a minimum of 577+ including a score of at least 4.5 in the Test of Written English for a paper-based test. Or a score of at least 79 and scores of at least 21 for writing, 18 for speaking, 13 for reading, 13 for listening for an internet-based test.
IELTS – you need a score from a minimum of 6.5 or more in the Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with no bands less than 6.0.
Pearson Test of English – you need an overall score from a minimum between 58-64 inclusive and achieve no PTE communicative skills score below 50.
Cambridge English, Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) – you need a Cambridge English Score from a minimum 176 with no skill below 169.
- Course Code: 085951E
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Graduate Certificate in Evaluation at University of Melbourne
- Graduate Certificate in Garden Design at University of Melbourne
- Graduate Diploma in Publishing and Communications (Advanced) at University of Melbourne
- Graduate Diploma in Arts and Cultural Management (Advanced) at University of Melbourne
- Graduate Diploma in Arts (Advanced) at University of Melbourne
- Graduate Diploma in Arts at University of Melbourne