SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING PRE-MASTERS
The Pre-Masters in Science and Engineering prepares you for a choice of progression degrees at Durham University. You will join the programme for two or three terms, depending on your academic qualifications and level of English language.
You can choose from a range of postgraduate degrees to progress to when you complete this course.
Who is this programme for?
This programme is for international students looking to study a postgraduate science or postgraduate engineering degree at Durham University.
- Choose from a range of degrees within the Department of Engineering, Department of Mathematical Sciences and Department of Psychology.
- Develop your academic knowledge, English language level and study skills needed for progression to your chosen Masters degree.
- Study core modules and designated modules related to your chosen specialism.
- Adjust to the UK education system and explore concepts, terminology and advanced academic writing needed to succeed at postgraduate level.
- Develop practical skills with research projects and laboratory experience.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Career development and support at every stage
At Durham University you will plan for your future, meet employers and develop your employability skills. Durham University produces some of the UK’s most employable graduates. It is ranked a world top 40 university for employability by blue chip companies (QS World University Rankings 2017/18).
In a highly competitive graduate employment landscape, graduates need to demonstrate their strengths and experience to potential employers. You will start this preparation at the International Study Centre. With this in mind, CareerAhead will help you develop your skills for success.
At the International Study Centre
CareerAhead activities include:
- identifying your personal strengths and areas for development
- developing key employability skills such as problem solving, teamwork, time management and communication
- creating a personal development plan, identifying your goals for future success.
You'll also have the opportunity to build up work experience by taking up part-time employment or a work placement during your studies. Find out more about working rights as part your visa.
At the University
During your degree at Durham City you will have the full support of the University’s career advisors and resources. To help you stand out from the crowd, you can also complete the College Award and Durham Award.
University career services
Throughout your studies at Durham University you will have lots of opportunities to meet employers, organise work experience and develop your career skills.
At Queen’s Campus, the International Study Centre will give you all the support you need. When you successfully progress to Durham City you can take full advantage of the University’s wider career services at the Careers, Employability and Enterprise Centre. Services include Career Fairs, a careers advisor, and help finding internships.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
To apply for the Pre-Masters programme you need to meet the following entry requirements.
You need a good first degree or diploma in a relevant subject.
- Business, Economics, Accounting and Finance: you need proof of Maths or other numerate subject modules within your undergraduate degree or diploma.
- Law and Social Science: you may need a relevant first degree, depending on your chosen progression degree.
- Science and Engineering: you need a relevant degree or diploma.
- Three terms - Academic IELTS for UKVI 5.5 (5.5 in all skills)*
- Two terms - Academic IELTS for UKVI 6.0 (5.5 in all skills)*
*We accept equivalent proof of English if you do not need a Student visa, or are exempt in another way.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: 235 GBP