This course is currently not offered by the university in upcoming intakes. We will notify you soon as it is resumed for online/ offline delivery
Master of Social Work Studies
Qualify as a social worker and gain the skills to make a difference in people's lives with the Master of Social Work Studies.
If you're interested in working with people and addressing social and community issues and problems, social work is an exciting and rewarding career. As a social worker, you'll have a commitment to the wellbeing of society and be highly skilled to intervene with and support individuals, families, groups and communities.
You'll study the role of evidence and research in supporting social work practice and you'll complete a range of courses to develop a deeper understanding in influencing and implementing social policy through community consultation.
This program will allow you to qualify as a social worker. In addition to completing core courses, you'll have the opportunity to complete advanced practice electives in counselling, community development, or child and family welfare.
You'll benefit from a program created in consultation with professionals in the field. You'll learn the latest theories and practices, and undertake 600 hours of supervised practical placements in organisations such as not-for-profit, community service and private practice.
The 18-month Master of Social Work Studies is designed for people with a Bachelor of Human Services (or equivalent) and a professional practice portfolio that demonstrates Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) practice standards and code of ethics.
- Learn from award-winning educators and leaders in teaching and research.
- Benefit from a program created in consultation with professionals in the field.
- Develop your skills and experience through supervised practical placements in organisations including not-for-profit, community service organisations and private practice.
- Launch your career path in social work or upgrade your existing experience in human services to become a qualified social worker, accredited by the Australian Association of Social Workers.
Situated on 114 hectares of Brisbane River-bound land, UQ’s main campus is a vibrant mix of majestic sandstone buildings and contemporary architecture, landscaped gardens and lakes. Fanning out from the heritage-listed Great Court, you’ll find modern teaching and research facilities, including laboratories, lecture theatres, and Queensland’s largest research library. The expansive grounds are also home to a variety of sporting facilities, museums, cafes, and those famous Jacaranda trees. The St Lucia campus is only seven kilometres from Brisbane’s city centre, making it an appealing place to study, work or visit.
- Feb Deadline: Nov
Application Processing Time in Days: 28
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Postgraduate study can take you anywhere. Here are some of the careers you could be on your way to:
- Social worker (child protection)
- Social worker (community development)
- Social worker (correctional services)
- Social worker (disability services)
- Social worker (drug and alcohol services)
- Social worker (health services)
- Social worker (migrant and refugee services)
- Social worker (private practice)
- Social worker (youth work and youth justice)
2 years of Post-Study Work (PSW) rights to international students post completion of their respective Postgraduate.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
A Bachelor of Human Services from the university (or equivalent) and portfolio.
Applicants must submit a professional practice portfolio that demonstrates Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) practice standards and code of ethics for the first placement.
The minimum GPA to be considered for admission into this program is 4.0.
- Course Code: 063939E
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year 06 Month
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 24505 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- MASTER OF Social Work (Qualifying) at The University of Queensland
- Master of Teaching (Secondary) at The University of Queensland
- Master of Teaching (Primary) at The University of Queensland
- Master of Peace and Conflict Studies at The University of Queensland
- Master of Laws (LLM) at The University of Queensland
- Masters of International Relations / Peace and Conflict Studies at The University of Queensland