Doctor of Clinical Dentistry
What’s your speciality?
Adelaide Dental School is ranked 1st in Australia and number 39 in the world*. Our leading-edge expertise gives our graduates a competitive edge in a flexible and rewarding profession.
This 3-year degree provides specialist dental education through clinical training and research.
What will you do?
Our Doctor of Clinical Dentistry is a professional postgraduate training program, not a PhD. You will:
- undertake clinical placements in metropolitan, rural, public and private health care settings
- conduct evidence-based clinical research
- propose, present and submit a major dissertation
- advance your knowledge and technical skills in a specialisation of your choice.
We offer the following specialist training areas:
- Oral Pathology
- Paediatric Dentistry
- Special Needs Dentistry.
Where could it take you?
You’ll graduate ready to change lives on your chosen dentistry path. You’ll be eligible for specialty registration in Australia provided you’ve fulfilled all the qualifications and strict conditions outlined by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
There are three key steps you will need to take when addressing the selection criteria in any University of Adelaide job application:
- Create a new document. Your statement addressing the position’s specified selection criteria should be separate from your cover letter and resume.
- List each criterion separately. Give each a title, using exactly the same wording as appears on the Position Description (e.g. Excellent verbal communication skills).
- Address each criterion. Under each heading, write two short paragraphs explaining how your experience, skills, education and training equip you to meet that specific requirement. Dot points are also acceptable.
Please note that failing to submit a statement addressing the selection criteria could result in your application not being considered.
Some helpful writing tips
There are a number of steps you can take when putting together your responses to increase their clarity and impact.
- Give details of one or two specific things you’ve done that are good examples of the relevant experience or knowledge required. For example: ‘I was responsible for organising an event attended by… This involved…'
- Preface these examples with a short overview that shows you appreciate the relevance of the specific criterion.
- Quantify your experience (number of years worked, staff supervised, etc.). For example: ‘I delivered a presentation to an industry forum with an audience of 80 people.’
- Where possible, indicate how successfully you meet the criterion. You could do this by referring to feedback from others, or things you've set up that are still being used. For example: ‘A report I wrote about… was endorsed by the… Committee and circulated to all stakeholders for discussion.
You could also consider using the STAR method as a structural framework when describing examples of your work. This involves describing, in the order listed here, the:
- situation you faced
- task required, and desired outcome
- action you took to complete the task
- results you achieved, and lessons you learned.
The Doctor of Clinical Dentistry degree may permit specialty registration in Australia, provided other qualifications and strict conditions are fulfilled. Furthermore, candidates should ensure that the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry degree from the University of Adelaide is registrable in the country in which they intend to work.
The objective of this program is to produce graduates with specific attributes as outlined in University of Adelaide Graduate Attributes.
Deep discipline knowledge
Critical thinking and problem solving
Teamwork and communication skills
Career and leadership readiness
Intercultural and ethical competency
Self-awareness and emotional intelligence
Throughout the program, students will work in the clinical area as members of a health care team. Clinical placements will be undertaken at public and private health care facilities.
Students undertaking clinical placements in the dentistry program are required to obtain the following clearances:
criminal history clearance
prescribed communicable infections screening
Oral Pathologist, Orthodontist, Paediatric Dentist, Periodontist, Prosthodontist, Endodontist, Special Needs Dentist, Specialist Dental Practitioner, Dentist
The additional year of post study work rights is not available to international students studying in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.
Bachelor Degree or Masters by Coursework Degree - 2 years - 3 years (Adelaide)
Masters by Research - 3 years - 4 years (Adelaide)
PhD qualification - 4 years - 5 years (Adelaide)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Entry to postgraduate coursework programs as a minimum requires a Bachelors degree or equivalent qualification from an approved institution as a qualification for entry.
- Some of the graduate certificates and graduate diplomas that are offered may be accepted as qualifying work for entry to a Masters program, or as professional qualifications in their own right.
- Course Code: 088341G
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD