Marine Science and Technology, PhD
The oceans are part of the thin, outer shell of the Earth and marine science is the study of this envelope, from the deep sea to shallow coastal oceans. These systems are dynamic and vast, containing most of the Earth's water and carbon and surface heat, and much of its biomass. Working like a machine in concert with the atmosphere, continents and ice oceans drive our climate system and support all life on our planet. Our PhD program centers around issues of biological oceanography, marine ecosystems, climate change impacts on the oceans, and marine policy and management.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
- 12 to 36 months( OPT duration depends on the major studied)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
In addition to completing course requirements, all students qualify for the doctoral degree by the end of their second year by passing written qualifying examinations and the successful defense of an original research proposal and oral qualifying exam. Students, once achieving candidacy (completion of required courses and passing written and oral qualifying exams), focus on their research with all students submitting to, and passing, an oral comprehensive examination and dissertation defense prior to award of the degree.
All UMass Boston applicants are asked to submit a personal essay. It gives you the opportunity to present yourself in a way that grades and test scores cannot. Our admissions counselors use your essay to determine your ability to organize your thoughts and express yourself clearly. Your essay may also be used to consider you for the Honors College and/or any scholarship opportunities for which you may qualify.
- Students who are attending or have graduated from a U.S. high school must submit SAT or ACT scores. Submission of TOEFL or IELTS scores is recommended.
- Students seeking full admission to electrical or computer engineering, management, or nursing programs are required to submit their SAT or ACT test scores.
- For students who have a recalculated grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher and seek full admissions to the College of Liberal Arts or to the College of Science and Mathematics, SAT or ACT scores are optional but must meet the minimum TOEFL (79-80) or IELTS (6.0) scores required.
Bachelor's Degree Equivalency
International applicants must submit evidence that they have completed the equivalent of a regionally accredited, U.S. university-level Bachelor's degree program. Acceptable documents can include official copies of diplomas, certified final degree certificates, and notation on the final transcript of degree and date awarded. Most international 4-year degrees are recognized as being equivalent. Most international 3-year degrees, including the Indian Bachelor of Arts, Sciences, and Commerce degrees, are not considered to be equivalent.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 USD
Application Fee: 100 USD