This course is currently not offered by the university in upcoming intakes. We will notify you soon as it is resumed for online/ offline delivery
Graduate Diploma in Museum Studies
Develop your knowledge and skills in museum history, theory and practice, and build your career in the museum and heritage industry.
The one year full-time (or part-time equivalent) Graduate Diploma in Museum Studies encompasses museum history, theory and practice. An interdisciplinary approach is used to deliver core courses, with a broad choice of interdepartmental and cross-faculty electives. You'll develop a critical awareness of the social, cultural and political issues facing those working in the sector, while getting the hands-on training necessary for professional practice.
Engaging with the University’s world-class museums and collections, together with leading professionals in the field, will provide you with a uniquely stimulating environment for museological research and training. The involvement of campus-based museums and collections – including UQ Art Museum, UQ Anthropology Museum and the R. D. Milns Antiquities Museum – is integral to the program and will enhance your knowledge of contemporary day-to-day work practices.
You'll also be able to gain professional experience and contacts in the workplace through our short-term internships or placements, where you undertake specific projects which contribute to your overall assessment. In recent years, these have been at institutions such as Queensland Art Gallery/GOMA, Queensland Museum, Ipswich Art Gallery, UQ Art Museum and the State Library of Queensland, as well as leading museums in London, New York and Tokyo.
- Benefit from engaging with the University’s world-class museums and collections, together with leading professionals in the field.
- Choose from a range of study areas, including museum context, cultural heritage law, museums and community engagement, digital heritage and more.
- Gain professional experience and contacts in the workplace – in Australia and overseas
- Deepen your understanding of the social, cultural and political issues facing the museum and gallery sector, and gain the skills to further your career.
Situated on 114 hectares of Brisbane River-bound land, UQ’s main campus is a vibrant mix of majestic sandstone buildings and contemporary architecture, landscaped gardens and lakes. Fanning out from the heritage-listed Great Court, you’ll find modern teaching and research facilities, including laboratories, lecture theatres, and Queensland’s largest research library. The expansive grounds are also home to a variety of sporting facilities, museums, cafes, and those famous Jacaranda trees. The St Lucia campus is only seven kilometres from Brisbane’s city centre, making it an appealing place to study, work or visit.
Application Processing Time in Days: 28
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Postgraduate study can take you anywhere. Here are some of the careers you could be on your way to:
- Education and programs officer
- Arts curator
- Library, museum and gallery coordinator
- Gallery curator
- Public programs manager
- Arts and cultural officer
- Indigenous art and heritage adviser
- Museum operations manager
- Gallery administrator
- Audio-visual exhibitions manager
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Approved degree in the same discipline; or
Same discipline is defined as a degree with a sequence of study in the fields of archaeology, anthropology, art history, history, ancient history, architecture, environmental and heritage studies, business, tourism and related fields.
Same content is defined as being at least a major, field of study, or approximately 30% of program content including a mix of introductory and advanced courses.
- Course Code: 056194M
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 24505 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN Urban Development and Design at The University of Queensland
- Graduate Certificate Writing, Editing and Publishing at The University of Queensland
- Graduate Diploma in Urban and Regional Planning at The University of Queensland
- Graduate Certificate in Urban and Regional Planning at The University of Queensland
- Graduate Certificate in Music at The University of Queensland
- Graduate Diploma in Interaction Design at The University of Queensland