B.A. Honors Sociology and Social Policy
What is Sociology and Social Policy?
Sociology and Social Policy combines the study of social theory, social policy and social research. The programme aims to give you a thorough training in the systematic study of society, contemporary social issues and the role of social policy in comparative country contexts. At the end of your four years you should have developed both a general sociological understanding, specific expertise in various contemporary policy issues as well as in the process of policy making.
Sociology and Social Policy: The course for you?
Curious about social and economic policy issues around the world? Searching for a course that demands both academic and vocational qualities? Interested in understanding society, its social problems and have a desire to make a difference? Then Sociology and Social Policy may be the degree for you. It is a unique programme which combines the study of social theory, social policy and social research. It is particularly relevant to students intending to pursue a career in research, social policy analysis and evaluation, management and planning within the social services, both voluntary and statutory, as well as to those with a general interest in society and social policy.
Do you enjoy:
- Contemplating the prospect of getting involved at the coal-face developing policies, services and visions of how we, as a society, could organise ourselves better?
- Learning about what makes for better and worse evidence about society and how it can be used to both understand and change it?
- Reflecting on what could be done at the local, national and international levels to improve people’s well-being?
Sociology and Social Policy at Trinity
Trinity’s School of Social Sciences and Philosophy is at the forefront of research and teaching across the disciplines of Philosophy, Political Science, Economics and Sociology and the Sociology Department is ranked 1st in Ireland and in the top 150 in the world (2019 QS World University Rankings). Social Policy in Trinity has achieved a ranking in the QS top 100 universities worldwide, which is the highest ranking for a university in Ireland in this subject category.
Application Processing Time in Days: 60
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
If you are an international student studying at Trinity, you might be considering internship and graduate work in Ireland, in your home country, or elsewhere. This section provides information for Non EU students on working in Ireland during and after your studies. For information and resources to support an international job search, see our Devex resource which includes international job search advice and information.
Employers value candidates who have more to offer than a good degree with high grades. They look for students who are well rounded and who have experience outside the classroom. Search for and take advantage of opportunities to gain experience, develop your skill set, and gain a clearer picture of what you like and don't like in terms of career options.
For example, you can get involved in some of the many student clubs and societies in college, volunteer or get a part time job. Remember that voluntary work is as valuable as paid work on your CV or resume - it's a great way to demonstrate your skills to future employers. Have a look at the TCD Civic Engagement website and check out volunteering opportunities in Ireland and abroad.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- General Entry Requirements
- Class XII – ISC, CBSE
- 80-90% in six subjects at XII depending on course (or 5 at Grade XII and 1 at Grade X) Mathematics up to Grade X
- 3 subjects at Grade 5 (Higher Level)
- 3 subjects at Grade 4 (Standard Level),
- including English & Maths
- 32 to 40 points, depending on course
- 4 A2 or best 3 A2 plus one AS
- Pass in English & Maths
- *75% or above / HL Mathematics required
- at Class XII level for Computer Science,Engineering, Science and Mathematics courses
*Additional requirements may apply for some courses
- English Language Proficienc Test
- IELTS - 6.5 (No individual band below 6)
- TOEFL - 90 (Written score 21)
- PTE Score -63 (No section below 59)
For More Information Please Connect Our PSA Counselor
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 EUR
Application Fee: 55 EUR
- B.A. (Moderatorship) Honours Geography and Geoscience at Trinity College Dublin
- International History (M.Phil.) at Trinity College Dublin
- B.A. Honors Geography (JH) at Trinity College Dublin
- B.A. (Moderatorship) Geography: Geography and Geoscience at Trinity College Dublin
- B.A. Honors Stage Management and Technical Theatre at Trinity College Dublin
- B.A. Honors Sociology (JH) at Trinity College Dublin