Master of Philosophy
This elite intensive research degree in health and (bio-) medical sciences will provide students with the opportunity to pursue an independent investigative research project under the supervision of an academic staff member in the School of Medicine, along with coursework specifically designed to provide relevant skills in research design, communication, integrity, and interpretation. This course will provide students with a dedicated pathway into Ph.D. programs or into employment where deeper disciplinary knowledge and research skills are required.
The research projects that center on the basis of health and disease span from basic gene discovery and molecular analysis, through to functional genomics and pre-clinical development, to clinical and population studies. This includes in the fields of immunity, infectious diseases, developmental biology, exercise physiology and metabolism, musculoskeletal biology, hematology, cancer, metabolic disease, neuroscience, molecular psychiatry, and nanomedicine. Research projects may also be offered in the field of rural and regional medicine, general practice, chronic disease management, public health, medical education, epidemiology, farmer health, medical imaging, surgery, and optometry.
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
At Deakin’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, you are surrounded by expansive grounds and impressive new buildings. It offers state-of-the-art engineering, medical and sport facilities, as well as some of the most advanced research spaces in the world. The campus also features incredible sporting facilities, including Deakin’s Elite Sport Precinct, which includes an Australian rules football oval, FIFA-grade soccer pitch, athletics track, basketball courts, and more.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The Master of Philosophy is specifically designed to provide students from diverse undergraduate backgrounds with an opportunity to expand their knowledge base and become independent researchers with specialized technical, critical thinking, communication, and cognitive skills. These skills are highly sought by many employers, with the course providing students with a dedicated pathway into national and international Ph.D. programs or into careers within academia, industry, medical research as well as government and non-government scientific agencies, both local and global.
- Geelong/ Warrnambool Campus - 3 years of Post Study Work Permit
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Students must have successfully completed:
- Bachelor degree with a distinction average (75%) for the third year or equivalent in the same discipline as the proposed research thesis
- Coursework Master degree with a minimum credit average (65% or GPA 3.0 out of 4.0) in the same discipline as the proposed research thesis
- The pre-clinical component of the Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery (or equivalent degree) at the postgraduate level.
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application.
- Course Code: 093847E
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Master of Applied Science (Health) at Deakin University
- Master of Applied Science (Health and Disease) at Deakin University
- Master of Science (Environmental Science) at Deakin University
- Master of Science (Biology and Chemical Sciences) - IFM at Deakin University
- Master of Data Science at Deakin University
- Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology at Deakin University