Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Teaching)
This degree is designed to meet the Australian Government's requirements for Early Childhood Education and to qualify graduates as four-year trained Early Childhood Teachers*.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Future proof your career with skills in organizational leadership, contemporary pedagogical understandings, and interpersonal skills that are highly valued in many careers, not just early childhood education occupations.
Due to the quality and flexibility of this course, you will have the choice of many career pathways such as:
- early childhood teacher, service director/coordinator or center educational leader
- coordinator/leader of a cluster of services, early childhood advisor for governments, professional development educator or child and family services manager
- early childhood expert for projects and studies, TAFE teacher or community advocate roles for children and families.
This degree is also a stepping stone to higher degree studies, leading to academic research and teaching career.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
A candidate shall:
- (a) (i) hold an AQF Level 5 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care or equivalent, approved by the Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority (ACECQA); and
- (ii) after completion of the Diploma above, have completed early childhood workplace experienceÂ comprising one year full-time (or equivalent) room leader experienceÂ orÂ two years full-time (or equivalent) experience as a family daycare accredited provider or an early childhood teacher assistant/aide or an accredited before and after school carer. Applicants should provide a Statement of Service from the early childhood provider on center/business letterhead signed by their supervisor specifying their work experience after completion of the Diploma. ACECQA accredits all early childhood providers and has a list of accredited providers on their website, and
- (iii) meet the Standard Minimum English Language Requirement as set out in theÂ University'sÂ English Language Requirements; or
(b) hold a three-year AQF Level 7 Bachelor degree in Early Childhood recognized by the Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority (ACECQA); and
- (i) provide either a signed copy of Professional Experience Reports or a letter from the tertiary institution where the Bachelor was awarded specifying that the applicant completed at least 10 days Professional Experience with the Birth-2 age group; or
- (ii) provide evidence (employer's letter on company letterhead) of at least 10 days experience with the Birth-2 age group acquired after the award of the Bachelor's Degree.
Students not meeting criteria (b)(i) or (b)(ii) may be admitted but must complete the unit PREX310 Professional Experience Birth to 2 Years (10 days) in addition to the normal Program of Study.
The Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Teaching) is open to those International Students only with an Australian Temporary Resident status that permits them to study online and to attempt Professional Experience Placements in ACECQA-approved Australian settings.
For direct admission into undergraduate courses offered by UNE, you must have completed an educational qualification considered to be at least equivalent to completion of Year 12 in Australia.
- Applicants holding relevant Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) or Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) Year 12 examination results
- Applicants holding relevant Indian State Board of Education Board Year 12 examination results, other than PSEB and HSEB
- Applicants holding relevant Punjab State Education Board (PSEB) and Haryana State Education Board (HSEB) Year 12 Examination
- Applications holding relevant National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) year 12 examination results
- Applicants holding a relevant Indian post-Year 10, Year 12 equivalent 3-Year VET level Diploma results in a relevant stream
- Must have achieved a minimum average of 60% in their Best of 4 academic subjects in a relevant stream, including English if necessary (but not a local language), with an overall First Division (60%+).
- Must have achieved a minimum average of 65% in their Best of 4 academic subjects in a relevant start, including English if necessary (but not a local language), with an overall First Division (60%+)
- Must have achieved a minimum average of 70% in their Best of 4 academic subjects in a relevant stream, including English if necessary (but not local language), with an overall First Division (60%+)
- Must have achieved a minimum average of 70% in their Best of 4 academic subjects in a relevant stream, including English if necessary (but not a local language), with an overall First Division (60%+),
- Must have achieved an overall minimum average of 60% or First Division results
Fit for Practice/Informed Consent Information
Prospective candidates should only accept an offer of a place in this course if they are able to meet the following "Fit for Practice" requirements:
- abide by relevant UNE Rules and Procedures, for example, Student Behavioural Misconduct Rules, and any relevant School of Education Policies, for example, the Professional Experience Policy for professional placements;
- exercise sound judgment based on cognitive, mental and physical health and be able to respond appropriately to demands of teaching situations;
- demonstrate personal resilience and persistence to cope and maintain wellbeing under stressful situations;
- demonstrate satisfactory academic progression prior to professional placement;
- safeguard the University's integrity and demonstrate a duty of care to students/children while engaged in professional experience;
- show personal maturity to ensure that a professional relationship is established with students/children;
- communicate to students/children with clarity and in an appropriate manner that relates to their age/profile;
- possess and model the literacy and numeracy skills expected of teachers in interactions they have within the classroom and broader settings;
- be able to create, evaluate and reflect on the physical and emotional safety of students/children in a variety of situations and environments; and
- be able to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with colleagues and the broader school/early childhood community.
Candidates who have or who develop a disability that may or will prevent them from meeting the above professional experience requirements should contact Student Support to see if reasonable adjustments are practicable.
Prior to undertaking a professional experience placement in New South Wales, there are a number of mandatory requirements that must be fulfilled.
Working with Children Check
All students intending to undertake a professional experience placement whose work is categorized as 'practical training as part of an educational or vocational course', in schools or other educational institutions (eg pre-schools, kindergartens, and child care centers) must complete a Working with Children Check application.
All students must complete training in anaphylaxis management prior to the commencement of their first professional experience placement.
Child Protection Awareness Training
All students must complete online Child Protection and Awareness Training prior to the commencement of their first professional experience placement.
Practical, Clinical or Work Experience
For students admitted under Rule (a), the course includes a mandatory sixty days of Professional Experience (PrEx) of which 10 days must be completed outside the student's usual workplace.
For students admitted under Rule (b), the course includes a mandatory minimum of thirty days of Professional Experience (PrEx) of which 5 days must be completed outside the student's usual workplace.
All Professional Experience must be completed in ACECQA-approved center-based settings.
Students who are required to undertake professional experience placement must read, understand, and adhere to the Professional Experience Policy of the School of Education.
- Course Type: Online
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Special and Inclusive Education (Primary) at University of New England
- Bachelor of Social Work at University of New England
- Bachelor of Social Science with Honours at University of New England
- Bachelor of Social Science at University of New England
- Bachelor of Legal Studies at University of New England
- Bachelor of Laws (4 Years) at University of New England