Master of Public Health
There's never been a more important time to learn about the power of public health.
With an ever-increasing need for public health initiatives to prevent and protect the community from diseases, the world needs skilled professionals who understand contemporary public health research and practice.
And you don't need a health background to pursue an in-demand career in public health.
Our Master of Public Health will give you important foundations in systems thinking, epidemiology, policy and research methods. Learn how to gather, interpret and leverage health data to create a healthier society. Understand the key principles of promotion, protection and prevention. Develop your research skills and learn how to influence our health systems.
You'll gain the skills you need to work in health systems around the world. By developing a global and multidisciplinary approach, you'll gain an understanding of public health that can genuinely influence the wellbeing of individuals, families and communities.
Understand how the systems in our society are intrinsically linked to the health of individual people.
Epidemiology and biostatistics
Learn how to gather and interpret health data, and improve health outcomes for your community.
Approaches to public health
Understand how theoretical principles can help you solve public health problems.
Policy and practice
Learn how to create policies that can improve health outcomes and develop practices that promote better health in your community.
Develop the confidence to lead public health initiatives.
Thinking about postgraduate study? Take your study to the city at our recently expanded City Campus in the heart of Melbourne’s business district. You might choose to move your career forward with a postgraduate course in business, communications, health or law. At our City Campus, you’ll get a personalised study experience with access to modern facilities and resources.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
La Trobe offers programs that are industry-focused and offer a lot of practical exposure. Following graduation, students can often struggle to find work relevant to their field of study - that’s why employers value students with pre-existing workplace experience. Students who can readily adapt their university learnings to the real world are far more valuable to employers than those who cannot.
The La Trobe Business School offers a variety of practical learning opportunities to help you develop a competitive edge in the job market. La Trobe focuses on Work Integrated Learning. Following graduation, students can often struggle to find work relevant to their field of study - that’s why employers value students with pre-existing workplace experience. Students who can readily adapt their university learnings to the real world are far more valuable to employers than those who cannot. The La Trobe Business School offers a variety of practical learning opportunities to help you develop a competitive edge in the job market.
The duration of the internship will vary depending on the chosen course and subject. During this time a student will be expected to complete assessments based on experience. Please note that eligibility criteria do apply.
If you are an undergraduate student, you can choose from the following subjects:
- Accounting Work Placement (ACC3AWP)
- Experiential Learning Project (BUS3ELP)
- Food and Beverage Supervision (THS1FBS)
- Sports Practicum (MGT3SPR)
If you are a postgraduate student, you can choose from the following subjects:
- Business Analytics Project (BUS5PR2)
- Business Work Placement (BUS5WIL)
- Experiential Learning Project (BUA5ELP)
- As an international student, a student can work for 40 hrs in a fortnight and full time during breaks and is entitled to 2 years post-study work permit. This implies to students studying any course which is 2 years and above.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Degree entry: Australian bachelor degree (or international equivalent) with a minimum of a C (60%) grade point average (GPA) in the final year PLUS three years of relevant managerial experience
- Professional entry: Applicants do not require an undergraduate degree but must have a minimum of 8 years' relevant managerial experience 6.0.
- Professional entry (no undergrad degree): International applicants must have a minimum IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 with no individual band score less than 6.0. Please note that international students studying online are not eligible for an Australian student visa.
Australian Bachelor's degree (or equivalent)
Prior learning developed through relevant work experience or professional accreditation, where it is deemed to be at least equivalent to that obtained through a Bachelor degree, may be considered. In making an offer to an applicant, the University will give consideration to a range of factors, including academic record, English proficiency and/or employment experience.
Requirements for selection and application
The University will access your official transcript upon application.
IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 with no individual band score less than 6.0
- Course Code: 019986G
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Master of Health Sciences at La Trobe University
- Master of Digital Health at La Trobe University
- Master of Speech Pathology at La Trobe University
- Master of Public Health and Master of Health Administration at La Trobe University
- Master of Psychological Science at La Trobe University
- Master of Clinical Psychology at La Trobe University