PGCE in Secondary Music
We have a long and distinguished history in preparing new teachers for the primary classroom. Since 1839 we have empowered our students to become confident and inspiring teachers. We are committed to supporting each of our students to succeed through high-quality training in partnership with local schools.
This full-time, one year course is designed to train you to apply your knowledge flexibly to a variety of contexts and to model good practice while teaching. You will focus on teaching and learning across the curriculum in secondary schools.
The course runs from September to July and you’ll spend the majority of this time (at least 24 weeks) on placement in schools.
The course enables you to develop your skills of critical analysis and engage with educational research at the same time as developing practical classroom skills through school experience. It is taught at a master’s level which will allow you to gain up to 60 credits towards a master’s qualification in the future. By the end of the course, you’ll be a reflective practitioner equipped to continue your professional learning throughout your career.
Bognor Regis Campus
Situated just five minutes from the sea, our Bognor Regis Campus boasts the £35m Tech Park which was opened by their Royal Highnesses, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. It is our flagship building which is home to our Engineering and Design and Creative Digital Technologies Departments. In addition to this, we have beautiful Georgian architecture including three grand mansion houses amongst our other modern teaching facilities. Bognor Regis is well known for its long stretch of coastline, with a mixture of sandy and pebble beaches and with just a five minute walk from campus, there no excuse not to visit. The Bognor Regis campus is also close to Hotham Park, a beautiful 22 acre public park. The park surrounds Hotham House, built in 1792 by Sir Richard Hotham, and regarded by many as one of the finest Georgian houses in Sussex. The famous Butlins Bognor Regis resort lies at the eastern end of the promenade and is the largest holiday centre in the South of England.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
We’re a friendly and professional team, dedicated to helping students and graduates to plan their futures, to learn about the world of work and meet employers.
There are many ways employers may get involved with the University and meet the talent of our students and graduates.
The Careers and Employability team can help with finding work or postgraduate study, developing connections and skills, going freelance or starting a business. We’ll assist with searching for jobs, choosing a career, completing and sharpening an application form or CV.
2 Years PSW is applicable after the course.(Bachelors & Masters only)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Bachelor of Arts / Science / Commerce from a central university, recognised state university
A centre of advanced study, 3 or 4 years duration– Minimum 50% Average percentage of final 2 years result used.
MPhil or PhD
The normal requirement for an MPhil is a good honours degree (First or Upper-Second class) or a relevant Masters degree. For a PhD the normal entry requirement is an MPhil.
Chichester runs a Pre-PhD Research Study Programme whereby applicants register for six tutorials at low cost in order to carry out various feasibility studies, including some testing of interest, materials, methods and resolve.
Degree: honours degree at 2:2 or higher in a related discipline.
- All applicants must hold an honours degree or equivalent qualification. The majority of successful applicants will have a 2:2 or above degree but we do accept applicants with a lower classification but an otherwise strong application.
- Your personal statement is important; it should convince us that you are serious about teaching as a career. You will need to demonstrate a strong awareness of the complex role of the teacher in supporting learning. You should ensure that you make reference to any voluntary or paid experiences in schools or early years settings.
- All applicants must have GCSE passes in English, mathematics and science at grade C / 4 or above. We will consider applicants who are taking the relevant GCSEs whilst applying.
- We would normally expect applicants to have taken and passed the full GCSE course, however in some circumstances we do accept equivalent qualifications or equivalency tests. If you are unable to enrol for the full GCSE course, please contact Admissions to discuss which equivalent qualification we may accept.
- You will be required to attend an interview
- Satisfactory occupational health and enhanced DBS check required
- If English is not your first language then English language proficiency required is an overall IELTS score of 7.0 (including 7.0 in academic writing) other components no less than 6.5 – or equivalent qualification.
- Course Code: 3CM7
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A