Bachelor of Science (Major: Biology)
Biology spans the breadth of knowledge and understanding that relates to all life and consequently is at the core of many significant scientific developments. For example, the burden of an expanding global population is driving advances in biotechnology to increase food production. The major covers a diverse range of subjects – from pollution and ecotoxicology to animal diversity.
Why study this major?
Employers want the skills you will develop in the Bachelor of Science. A strong emphasis on research in both the laboratory and the field ensures you will acquire the fundamental skills of scientific investigation such as data collection and analysis, critical thinking, problem solving and effective communication. These skills are just what is needed in the flexible workplace of the 21st century.
By completing a Major in Biology you will be able to play a vital role in filling the gaps in society’s knowledge about species, ecosystems and environmental threats and contribute to the sustainable management of natural resources in Australia and elsewhere. Our Major in Biology is usually taken over three years of full-time study, with eight of the 24 courses being devoted to Biology. Courses include Aquatic Science, Pollution and Ecotoxicology, Animal Diversity and Microbiology.
In addition to these courses, you will also be required to complete a Directed Science Research project which provides the opportunity for you to specialise in a particular area of interest and to develop additional fieldwork and problem-solving skills.
Work Integrated Learning: as part of the Bachelor of Science degree, you will be required to undertake a Science Internship. This is a six-week industry placement in an area of employment related to your studies, which can lead to valuable contacts and employment opportunities.
Our foundation Campus is located in the historic West End of the port city of Fremantle, south of Perth. Housed within beautifully restored heritage buildings, it provides a ‘town university’ of great character. The iconic Campus is close to the Fremantle Harbour, cafe?s, shops and the famous ‘Cappuccino Strip’, and all major transport hubs.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The following careers are open to graduates of this program:
- Health scientist
- Environmental scientist
- Non-government advisor
- Political advocate
Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane:
Regular 2 years post study work visa for international students completing Bachelors and Masters degrees (minimum 92 weeks), 3 years for Masters by Research and 4 years for PhD. graduates
Other Locations (Regional centres and other regional areas):
International students studying at regional universities will be eligible to access an additional
2 years in Australia on a post-study work visa
(Which means a Bachelors or Masters graduate can get up to 4 years of PSW visa)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Academic requirements for this program are outlined below. We also consider your application more broadly – your non-academic achievements (such as any previous leadership roles, volunteering, work, church and/or community involvement) as well as personal qualities - your aspirations and interests and your capacity to complete your chosen program.
Applicants with recent Secondary Education:
- Indicative ATAR of 70 with a score of 50+ in ATAR English, ATAR Literature or ATAR English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EALD).
- Minimum International Baccalaureate (IB) score of 24.
- Completed AQF Certificate IV or higher in a relevant discipline, from an accredited provider such as TAFE or a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) with a score of 50+ in ATAR English, ATAR Literature or ATAR English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EALD).
Applicants with Higher Education Study
- Other university studies completed at undergraduate level or higher, a minimum of 4 successfully completed subjects;
- Successful completion of the Notre Dame Tertiary Pathway Program or of another Enabling Program at a level deemed sufficient by the University;
Applicants who have successfully completed subjects at another University, which are relevant to the selected program of study, may be eligible for Advanced Standing.
Applicants with Vocational Education and Training (VET) study
- Completed AQF Certificate IV or higher in a relevant discipline, from an accredited provider such as TAFE or a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
Applicants with Work and Life Experience
Applicants who left secondary education more than two years previously and who have not undertaken VET or higher education study since then, but with relevant work and life experience. Such experience may include, but is not limited to:
- STAT scores of at least 135 in the Multiple Choice section and 140 in the Written English section are required.
- Mature-age completion of two Year 12 WACE or HSC exams with a resulting ATAR of 70 or above
- Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) or equivalent results if these have been completed within the last 5 years.
Please note: all applicants must be of school leaving age or older to apply.
- Course Code: 045168D
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Science (Major: Environmental Management) at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Nursing at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Arts (Major: Philosophy) at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Arts (Major: Archaeology) at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Arts (Major: Applied Psychology) at The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Bachelor of Arts (Major: Counselling) at The University of Notre Dame Australia