This course is currently not offered by the university in upcoming intakes. We will notify you soon as it is resumed for online/ offline delivery
Master of Cyber Security
Study our Master of Cyber Security and go beyond traditional thinking.
We bring together students from technology, business, mathematics, social science and law to offer an integrated learning experience, unique to UQ.
This is a new degree for a new kind of professional, aligned to the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s internationally-recognised Cyber Security Education framework, taught by leading academics and industry professionals, with a truly inter-disciplinary approach to the field.
You will develop an understanding of the global cyber security landscape, informed by industry and government experts, to find better ways to defend, adapt and lead for a resilient, more productive digital world. Wherever you’re positioned in your career, you’ll look at the field from a different angle, ask bigger questions, and find new and exciting ways to meet the security challenges of the future.
An inter-disciplinary approach
It’s estimated that Australia will need an additional 18,000 cyber security professionals by 2026, so in partnership with industry experts, UQ has developed the first program to genuinely address the interdisciplinary nature of this field, while meeting the need for deep technical specialisation in core areas.
- Study specialised topics such as cryptography, cyber criminology, cyber defence and leadership.
- Gain integrated learning experience and advance your professional network.
- Undertake an industry or research-based project to improve your workforce readiness.
- Acquire a global perspective on cyber security and information security fundamentals.
Fields of study
Tailor your studies to suit your goals. This program offers these options:
- Cyber Criminology
- Cyber Defence
Situated on 114 hectares of Brisbane River-bound land, UQ’s main campus is a vibrant mix of majestic sandstone buildings and contemporary architecture, landscaped gardens and lakes. Fanning out from the heritage-listed Great Court, you’ll find modern teaching and research facilities, including laboratories, lecture theatres, and Queensland’s largest research library. The expansive grounds are also home to a variety of sporting facilities, museums, cafes, and those famous Jacaranda trees. The St Lucia campus is only seven kilometres from Brisbane’s city centre, making it an appealing place to study, work or visit.
- Feb Deadline: Nov
Application Processing Time in Days: 28
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Postgraduate study can take you anywhere. Depending on which field you choose, here are some of the careers you could be on your way to:
- Policy adviser
- Cyber insurance adviser and provider
- IT auditor
- High tech crime unit police officer
- Digital forensics specialist
- Cyber security analyst
- Cyber criminologist
2 years of Post-Study Work (PSW) rights to international students post completion of their respective Postgraduate.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
an approved Bachelor Degree in a relevant area of study with a GPA of at least 5.0 on a 7 point scale; or
an approved Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in a relevant area of study with a GPA of at least 5.0 on a 7 point scale.
A relevant area of study for a field in:
- Cyber Defence is a degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Mechatronics, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Mathematics or Software Engineering.
- Cyber Criminology is a degree in Sociology, Criminology, Criminal Justice or Crime Science.
- Cryptography is a degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Physics, Actuarial Science or Information Technology.
- Leadership is a degree in Commerce, Management, Business, Accounting, Information Technology, Computer Science, Leadership. In addition applicants must minimum of 5 years of supervisory/management experience. This may include, but is not limited to: managing a team of people, managing client accounts, the managerial components of any major projects, resource planning, direct responsibility for financial delegations.
- Course Code: 0100693
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year 06 Month
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 24505 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- MASTER OF Occupational Hygiene at The University of Queensland
- MASTER OF Food Science and Technology Research Extensive at The University of Queensland
- MASTER OF Clinical Neuropsychology and Clinical Psychology at The University of Queensland
- Master of Sports Coaching at The University of Queensland
- Masters of Occupational Hygiene / Occupational Health and Safety Science at The University of Queensland
- Master of Bioinformatics at The University of Queensland