Bachelor of Science (Honours) Public Health & Health Promotion
What is the BA (Hons) in Public Health and Health Promotion?
The BSc (Hons) in Public Health & Health Promotion (formerly the BA (Hons) in Health Promotion) is a full-time, four year, honours degree course of study that can be chosen within the Health Sciences Common Entry Route. On completion of this course you will become an accredited public health and health promotion practitioner and enjoy a diverse career helping to improve the health and wellbeing of individuals and populations.
What will you learn about on the BSc (Hons) Public Health & Health Promotion?
The course develops the skills and competencies in students to support individuals and communities to live healthier and happier lives. You will study nutrition and study the science behind a healthy diet, how to analyse the diet and promote dietary change. You will learn practical facilitation and behaviour change skills and how to be an excellent communicator. You will learn how to become an excellent consumer of research and how to conduct research. You will learn how to develop, implement and evaluate health interventions and campaigns and have the opportunity to apply your skills in a practical setting. You will learn about the body, human disease, and how to conduct health screening and measurement. You will learn about social justice, inequality, policy and public health. In addition, you will learn how to work with state agencies, local government, NGOs and communities to build capacity for better health.
The BSc (Hons) in Public Health & Health Promotion will give you the skills to work with a wide range of groups (e.g. children, elderly, and people with disabilities), in a wide range of settings (e.g. community centres, workplaces, and schools) about a wide range of topics (e.g. mental health, physical activity, and climate change).
Health Promotion Accreditation
The BSc (Hons) in Public Health & Health Promotion is accredited under the International Union of Health Promotion and Education (IUPHE) Health Promotion Accreditation System. When you graduate your qualification will be recognised worldwide.
Health Promotion Work Placement
There is a 16 week placement in the third year of the course. This introduces the student to practical health promotion settings and provides the student with the opportunity to practically apply the skills they have gained on the programme. Students have been placed in the following settings: Health Service Executive, Health Promotion Departments, hospitals, state companies and private companies, Youth Services, Adolescent Health and Information Projects, Community Projects and Adult Education Service, VECs. International placement & options to study abroad may also be available.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
WIT’s award-winning Careers Development Centre is the main point of contact for:
- Students and graduates, helping you explore your options, develop your employability skills and make successful job applications
- Academic Staff, supporting you to equip your students with the skills they need to enhance their employability and succeed in their future careers
- Employers interested in securing the recruitment of well educated, career orientated, informed graduates
The Careers Development Centre supports the Institute in providing opportunities for students and graduates to develop the skills and attributes required to manage their careers throughout their working lives.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- You should be at least 17 years of age in January of the year of entry.
- You must have a Secondary/High School Diploma, with good grades in English and Mathematics and at least 4 other subjects, on average + 60%.
- Some courses have special entry requirements, which you should check under the course details.
For More Information Please Connect Our PSA Counselor
- Course Code: WD005 HPP
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 7650 EUR
Application Fee: 50 EUR
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Creative Computing at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Multimedia Applications Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Software Systems Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Software Systems Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Computer Forensics and Security at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Applied Computing (Media Development) at Waterford Institute of Technology