Master of Teaching (Primary)
Entry to this course is governed by the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy. The selection of course entrants is based on academic merit and satisfaction of non-academic capabilities for entry to initial teacher education. In accordance with the mission of ACU, the Faculty of Education and Arts is committed to providing access to education for a diversity of students. ACU provides a range of access and equity schemes which consider additional or alternative factors in assessing applicants, including applicants of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.
The Master of Teaching (Primary) is for graduates who want to become primary school teachers and have an appropriate undergraduate degree.
The degree is a pre-service teacher education program that applies advanced knowledge and research findings to the problems, issues and challenges facing education professionals.
Graduates will be eligible for employment in Catholic and other faith-based schools, and government and non-government schools. This Masters degree prepares primary school teachers who are reflective, independent and flexible thinkers who can apply their skills to improve curriculum offerings and advance their community’s education.
It gives students valuable professional experience through a range of school- and community-based placements during the course.
115 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy Vic 3065 Locked Bag 4115, Fitzroy MDC Fitzroy Vic 3065
25A Barker Road, Strathfield NSW 2135 Locked Bag 2002, Strathfield NSW 2135
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The Master of Teaching (Primary) course is designed to prepare Primary teachers to meet the requirements for teaching in Catholic, non-government, government schools, and Lutheran schools (Queensland only).
- 2 years PSW for Melbourne, North Sydney, and Brisbane
- 3 years PSW for Ballarat, Canberra, Adelaide, Blacktown & Strathfield
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
An applicant must also comply with the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy.
1.1 To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must have completed –
- Bachelor degree or equivalent that includes at least one year of equivalent full time study relevant to one or more learning areas of the primary school curriculum; with a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) equivalent to an Australian Catholic University GPA of 4.0; and
- units within that degree that meet the subject content requirements as outlined by the national accreditation authority and the state/territory concerned.
1.2 For applicants who have successfully completed a Bachelor degree with a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) equivalent to an Australian Catholic University GPA of 4.0; but do not meet national subject content requirements or the state/territory requirements, conditional enrolment may, in special circumstances, be approved by the Course Coordinator provided additional study is undertaken.*
1.3 International applicants must also meet the English Language Testing System (IELTS) assessment, or an equivalent English language proficiency assessment, with no score less than 7.0 in reading and writing, and no score less that 8.0 in listening and speaking.
*In Queensland, for entry to Primary programs, the prior undergraduate degree must include at least 8-semester units of discipline studies relevant to at least 2 of the Primary learning areas (institutions should give preference to applicants with studies in Mathematics, English and Science).
Other prerequisites to undertaking this course
Requirements for working with children(Bluecard mandatory): All students enrolled must have the appropriate approvals before they may enter a classroom.
These are: Blue Card (Qld), Working with Vulnerable People (ACT), or Working with Children Check ( NSW and Vic).
International students must bring police check documentation from their own countries. Australian students who have lived in another country for 12 months or more must provide a police check from that country for that period.
- Course Code: 055926K
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Master of Teaching (Secondary) / Graduate Certificate in Religious Education at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Teaching (Primary) / Graduate Certificate in Religious Education at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Teaching (Secondary) at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Educational Leadership at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Education at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Social Work at Australian Catholic University (ACU)