Doctoral Research in Sport & Recreation (Doctor of Philosophy)
Become a leading researcher and adviser in sport and recreation, with a PhD from VU. We offer world-class research facilities, top industry collaborations, and expert support and guidance.
Sport & Recreation doctoral research at VU
VU is a leader in sport studies. Our research in human movement and sports science was recently rated 'well above world standard' by Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA).
PhD in Sport & Recreation candidates choose their topic from our interdisciplinary research focus areas, in which you can contribute to real innovation in public policy, community and professional sport.
Our high-performance in sport and healthy populations programs are undertaken in our newly formed Institute for Health & Sport, and include:
- clinical exercise science
- GPS devices in sport
- medical physiology and metabolism
- social health and wellbeing
- sport in society
- sport leadership
- sports science.
You’ll benefit from our $68 million high-technology teaching and research facility at Footscray Park, and our expert teaching staff aligned with our research institutes.
Your original PhD thesis will be at the forefront of the sport and recreation research field. You’ll learn to present and defend your findings in publications and conferences.
Footscray Park Campus is next to parklands along the Maribyrnong River, a short walk from Footscray Station. Footscray is one of Melbourne’s multicultural hubs, only 10 minutes by train from the city. The campus has restaurants and cafes, learning commons, world-class sports science facilities, a bookshop, and a pool and gym. It hosts many of our degree and postgraduate courses, including in business, sport, youth and community work, science, engineering and education.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
A PhD in Sport and Recreation can lead to high-level work in government, the sport and recreation industries, or academia.
- 4 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Master’s degree with thesis;
- admissible bachelor degree Completed with a degree classification (as awarded on degree certificate) of first Division with Distinction (70%).
English Language Requirement
- Achieved an IELTS, (Academic Module) result with an overall score of 6.5 (no band less than 6) or equivalent and completed a Masters degree or a relevant four year undergraduate degree with Honours or its equivalent at a high standard.
- Course Code: 084118B
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Doctor of Philosophy (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Food Sciences & Technology (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Human Movement (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Medical & Biological Science (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Nursing & Midwifery (Integrated) at Victoria University
- PhD in Sport & Recreation (Integrated) at Victoria University