New Zealand Diploma in Creative Writing (Level 6)
Undertake specialized study and practice in the craft of writing a novel, screenplay, short fiction, poetry or non-fiction work. Focus on your genre and create a first draft manuscript. You will work in a workshop environment with tutors and mentoring support. Weekend and weekly options available.
You can enroll for the New Zealand Diploma in Creative Writing (Level 6) as a one year, full-time diploma or it can be credited towards the second year of the Bachelor of Creativity (Writing).
Work with your tutor on:
- craft and technique within your chosen genre
- refining the idea
- planning and research
- reading and critique within your chosen genre
- rewriting and editing
- knowledge and appreciation of the publishing/production process
The courses are delivered full-time over two trimesters and consist of one 15 credit course, two 30 credit courses and one 45 credit course.
Writing Process (30 credits) To assist writers to undertake the planning and development of a writing project.
Writing Project: Workshop (30 credits) To assist writers to strengthen their critiquing skills by analyzing their peers’ work and a selection of works by published authors. To advance the analytical skills necessary for developing the writer’s own work.
Writing Project: Manuscript (45 credits) To consolidate technical and creative skills to produce a major writing project to the first draft stage.
Revising and rewriting (15 credits) To develop analytical skills for the critique of a writer’s own work and revise work in response to critical analysis.
Our cross-genre classes provide a large amount of self-directed time for writing as well as structure and support for a first-time manuscript writer. They are delivered as either a monthly weekend class or a weekly class. At the time of application, these options will be discussed with you.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Under Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 15000 NZD
Application Fee: N/A
- New Zealand Diploma in Creativity (Level 5) at WHITIREIA
- New Zealand Diploma in Photography (Level 5) at WHITIREIA
- New Zealand Diploma in Radio Broadcasting (Level 5) at WHITIREIA
- New Zealand Diploma in Performing Arts - Musical Theatre at WHITIREIA
- New Zealand Diploma in Drama (L6) at WHITIREIA
- New Zealand Diploma in Dance (L6) at WHITIREIA