Master of Philosophy (Elder Con)
The Master of Philosophy is conducted over two years of full time study or the equivalent in half-time candidature. The key aim of the program is to train students in research methodology and techniques and to engage them in the critical evaluation of literature and results in their field of research at an advanced level. Whilst the Master of Philosophy may contain a significant coursework component, the focus of the degree is on research. Master of Philosophy graduates are well placed to progress to independent research at doctoral level.
As one of the most highly research-intensive and respected universities in Australia and a member of the prestigious Group of Eight , The University of Adelaide is the smart choice for your research program. The University is committed to providing unique opportunities for graduates and researchers who are recognised as worldwide leaders for their vision and capacity to address global research challenges.
All Master of Philosophy students at the University have the opportunity to broaden their research experience through the Career and Research Skills Training (CaRST) program.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
There are three key steps you will need to take when addressing the selection criteria in any University of Adelaide job application:
- Create a new document. Your statement addressing the position’s specified selection criteria should be separate from your cover letter and resume.
- List each criterion separately. Give each a title, using exactly the same wording as appears on the Position Description (e.g. Excellent verbal communication skills).
- Address each criterion. Under each heading, write two short paragraphs explaining how your experience, skills, education and training equip you to meet that specific requirement. Dot points are also acceptable.
Please note that failing to submit a statement addressing the selection criteria could result in your application not being considered.
Some helpful writing tips
There are a number of steps you can take when putting together your responses to increase their clarity and impact.
- Give details of one or two specific things you’ve done that are good examples of the relevant experience or knowledge required. For example: ‘I was responsible for organising an event attended by… This involved…'
- Preface these examples with a short overview that shows you appreciate the relevance of the specific criterion.
- Quantify your experience (number of years worked, staff supervised, etc.). For example: ‘I delivered a presentation to an industry forum with an audience of 80 people.’
- Where possible, indicate how successfully you meet the criterion. You could do this by referring to feedback from others, or things you've set up that are still being used. For example: ‘A report I wrote about… was endorsed by the… Committee and circulated to all stakeholders for discussion.
You could also consider using the STAR method as a structural framework when describing examples of your work. This involves describing, in the order listed here, the:
- situation you faced
- task required, and desired outcome
- action you took to complete the task
- results you achieved, and lessons you learned.
The additional year of post study work rights is not available to international students studying in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.
Bachelor Degree or Masters by Coursework Degree - 2 years - 3 years (Adelaide)
Masters by Research - 3 years - 4 years (Adelaide)
PhD qualification - 4 years - 5 years (Adelaide)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Entry to postgraduate coursework programs as a minimum requires a Bachelors degree or equivalent qualification from an approved institution as a qualification for entry.
Some of the graduate certificates and graduate diplomas that are offered may be accepted as qualifying work for entry to a Masters program, or as professional qualifications in their own right.
IELTS Overall 6.5 Reading 6 Listening 6 Speaking 6 Writing 6
TOEFL Overall 79 Reading 20 Listening 20 Speaking 23 Writing 27
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Master of Philosophy (Arts) - Philosophy at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Philosophy (Arts) - Geography at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Media (Strategic Communication) at The University of Adelaide
- Master of International Security at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Immersive Media Technologies at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Arts (Studies in Art History) at The University of Adelaide