PhD in Engineering
Become a leading researcher and designer of innovative engineering solutions, with a PhD in Engineering from VU.
PhD in Engineering program at VU
Continue your graduate study with one of Australia’s leading engineering-research universities. We offer world-class engineering labs, top research institutes, and invaluable industry collaborations.
In the latest Excellence in Research for Australia results we were rated:
'well above world standard' in electrical and electronic engineering
'above world standard' in engineering overall.
We offer doctoral degrees in:
During your study, you’ll work on cutting-edge engineering projects, presenting your research as a PhD thesis, and in journals and conferences.
Our interdisciplinary research areas include opportunities for research in:
advanced food systems
electrical power (including smart and alternative energy)
You’ll graduate ready for an important career in engineering research, design and policy, or a university position.
Footscray Park Campus is next to parklands along the Maribyrnong River, a short walk from Footscray Station. Footscray is one of Melbourne’s multicultural hubs, only 10 minutes by train from the city. The campus has restaurants and cafes, learning commons, world-class sports science facilities, a bookshop, and a pool and gym. It hosts many of our degree and postgraduate courses, including in business, sport, youth and community work, science, engineering and education.
Located in the fastest growing area of Melbourne, our Werribee Campus is a part of a modern technology precinct. Werribee Campus has specialised facilities for teaching and research, including major research centres for water treatment, food science, biomedical science and fire safety. Our students and researchers make major contributions to the local and international scientific community.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
A PhD will help you find important work in the following areas:
- government policy
- university research
- industry research, design or management.
Engineering careers include:
- power generation, transmission, distribution, management and control (particularly Smart or alternative energy)
- managing, designing and developing telecommunication network systems
- microelectronic and electronic design
- water-related work for government organisations and private firms
- processing design for the food industry
- mechanical design for construction and safety.
- 4 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Master’s degree with thesis;
- admissible bachelor degree Completed with a degree classification (as awarded on degree certificate) of first Division with Distinction (70%).
English Language Requirement
- Achieved an IELTS, (Academic Module) result with an overall score of 6.5 (no band less than 6) or equivalent and completed a Masters degree or a relevant four year undergraduate degree with Honours or its equivalent at a high standard.
- Course Code: 084115E
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A